Friday, June 22, 2012

"Why I am a Federationis" responses

Hello Everyone

I received some "Why i am a Federationist" responses via e-mail.  Some of them were too long to place as comments so I am making a new post in order to share them!

I first learned about the NFB when I was reading Kernel books in high school. It seemed like most or all of the Federationists writing these stories had either grown up with partial vision or become blind later in life and gone through an adjustment process. I have been totally blind since birth and so for me, "hiding" my blindness was never an option and I never really had the chance to regret or feel bad about being blind since that was all I had known. I was successful in school, knew I would go to college and do whatever career I wanted when I grew up, and loved hanging out with other blind people (I had several blind friends). So I didn't feel like I "needed" the NFB the way the Kernel story writers did.

I first decided to get involved because I thought it was fun to socialize with blind students around the country and learn about how they handled college. Eventually I went to a national convention and was inspired by the organization's zeal to address indignities against the blind--even something as seemingly trivial as being denied the chance to ride amusement park rides. After I won a national scholarship nine years ago and got talked into starting a student division in Arizona, I became consistently active and my journey really began.

So what have I gained from being part of the organization? First, I learned that I didn't know everything about blindness or how blind people got things done. I was competent in school but I wasn't a good traveler. I didn't know many blind adults and the few I did know all had guide dogs, so I had no idea how a blind person could get around in an unfamiliar environment with a cane. I only knew how to travel in very familiar, restricted areas. And I figured that blind people could cook and clean and take care of their homes, but I didn't know much about how that was accomplished. The practical knowledge I got by talking with NFB members and going to the Louisiana Center for the Blind (sorry CCB!), by itself, made a huge difference in giving me the independence that I enjoy today. I do believe that had I not gone to an NFB center, I probably would have stayed in Arizona for grad school because I would have thought that learning a new city would be too difficult for me as a blind person.

Second, throughout my teen years I was very insecure about where I belonged in the sighted world. I grew up around lots of folks who were always telling me how smart and wonderful and amazing I was, but who often didn't include me in normal social activities. I began to feel that most sighted people thought they were superior to me because of their sight, and that I didn't belong in their world. My parents, though well-intentioned, did not really know what level of independence the blind are capable of achieving. They would tell me that I needed to accept the "limitations" of my blindness and also accept the kindness of those who were trying to "help" me instead of asserting my independence. I grew to resent being forced to adopt an inferior, dependent role in society, and so I eventually came to believe that the only people I could trust to give me full dignity and respect were other blind people. I was fortunate to have several close friends who were blind, but it is tough to go through life distrusting virtually all of your classmates, colleagues and acquaintances.

Ironically, I think that being immersed in the NFB community was what helped me to let go of this resentment and open up to sighted folks.
Through the NFB I learned that I had the power to develop my own understanding of blindness instead of accepting the sighted world's understandings. With this empowerment, I was less bothered by the indignities we all experience, and I eventually discovered that many sighted people are willing to treat us with full dignity and respect.
I am still a Federationist today because I want to keep learning from other successful blind people and to pass on what I have already learned to our newer members. I am also here because I have become aware of the collective problems that we still face with discrimination, marginalization and inaccessibility. Because of the NFB, I have decided to devote my career to investigating solutions to these problems through psychological research. I have learned that these problems are complex and will need to be attacked on multiple levels. As long as there is blindness, I believe there will always be a need for an organization to collectively fight for the full dignity and respect we all deserve.

In sum, there are many blind folks out there who believe they don't "need" to join an organization. While I respect anyone's right to choose whether or not to join an organization or which one to join, I also believe that any one of us can benefit in some way by joining the NFB. There is always something new all of us can learn about blindness, and there is always something that each one of us can contribute to the movement. And we can all benefit from the support we get from being part of a community of blind people who all have a common goal of creating respectability for the blind. Plus, it's fun!

Best,

Arielle

I'm sharing my answer to Ms. Beecham's question on the list, to also
serve as somewhat of an intro since I'm brand new to the NFB of
Colorado, and this list. My name is Everett. I've been with the NFB of
Ohio for the last 14 years. As I write this I am back in Ohio after
spending 5 weeks in the Springs with my fiancee, Lisa Felix (& her
girls). I'm moving out there officially, fully and all-in, on June
19th, in just a couple of weeks. So I'll see you all at convention.
;-)


I am a member of the NFB because the NFB gave me knowledge,
confidence, & inspiration. By way of not only talking about the truths
of blindness, but because I found its members living it out daily --
rather than giving into and living out the stereotypes. Also,
ultimately, NFB leaders were there for me when I went blind. The state
agency for the blind told me nothing about what was out there for
blind people. They simply let me be a couch potato for the 1st year of
my blindness, waiting for my eyes to stabilize so they could send me
through their state rehab center for the blind. While there I found
out through other students about the NFB & ACB, but the teachers
policy was to say nothing either for or against either organization.
They could only suggest I find out on my own. After returning home to
my community 4 months later, I began inquiring and researching. I
noticed that ACB leaders were students at my local center for the
blind, as was I. I found that the NFB leaders were the teachers at the
center, and at other organizations for the blind such as the regional
state library for the blind nearby. I've been reading Zig Ziglar,
Brian Tracy, & other self-help motivators since I was 14. I know that
if you want more out of life, you should begin hanging around with and
learning from those who are where you want to be, not just those who
are where you currently are. So, naturally, my role models ended up
being people in the NFB. People who had successfully overcome the
barriers often presented thrugh blindness in a sighted world.
Ultimately, the NFB through some caring and professional members
helped me gain a better, truer perspective, search out & receive
better training, gain a new set of goals and dreams for my life, and
gave me the knowledge, confidence, and inspiration to strive on
towards those goals and dreams.

Too much for a brochure, but there you go. I'm glad to be here and be
a part of the NFBCO. I look forward to meeting and working with you
all as time goes by.

Blessings to You!
Everett

I choose to belong to the NFB because the organization is positive, active, promotes advocacy, and is a brilliant role model for blind children and adults. Because of the NFB I feel confident, valuable, and believe I am just as important as my sighted peers. The NFB has taught me to take a backseat to no one, and to be a driver of my own destiny.

Gail


I am a Federationist because if I wasn't, I'd be like 70% of the blind, living with my parents, not possibly going to college or getting a job.

Beth

A. I am a federationist because I believe the only way we as blind people can achieve equality is through strength in numbers.

B. Through the federation I have gained a network of succesfull blind professionals and students who always have faith in me and are willing to help me achieve my goals.

Thanks,

Cody

Greetings:

I am a federationist because The NFB taps into something very deep within me - the yearning to be part of something larger than myself.  In fact,  the federation does for me what soil does for plants because it nurtures me , and enables me to grow and to blossom.

The federation has given me the confidence to embrace challenges with an attitude of not allowing the fear to smother out the fire but allowing the fire to burn away the fear.

Thank you,

Eddie K. Thieszen - Culp

I apologize if I have missed anyone's e-mail!  Feel free to send it along again and I will edit the post to include your response.  If anyone else would like to share your "Why I am a Federationist" story, please send it to Jessica at jbeecham@cocenter.org



No comments:

Post a Comment