Friday, March 7, 2014

Waiting for More Than a Year


I apologize for the hastiness of this ..., but I felt it necessary to get this information to you without delay.
My name is Jamie Principato, and I have been on a DVR waitig list for over a year now. I applied for services around January 20th, 2013, and though I was discouraged initialy from applying, I persisted and went through all the motions to get on the waiting list. I was told at the time that some services could be provided to me while I am waiting, but this has not been the case, and it has been difficult until recently to get information from the office regarding the status of my case. I applied for services at the South Denver office. Since applying for services, I have been attending classes part-time at Arapahoe Community college and paying for my tuition, fees, books and assistive technology out of pocket, and have now completely emptied my savings account and accumulated debt to stay in school and prevent any further delay in my pursuit of a career in Engineering. I have had to do without orientation and mobility since moving to Colorado and have had to spend a significant amount of time orienting myself to the area and self teaching the skills of blindness that I have needed in my classes, including learning to use unfamiliar screen readers and devices for data collection in laboratory settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment